Summer has arrived in Austin and the hundred degree temperatures are just around the corner. Buffington Homes has comprised a list of simple ways to summer proof your home.
1) Block the heat by closing your blinds and curtains or opt for adding tinting to your windows. Adding a little shade from the sun will make a huge difference to the temperature in your home. Another option that Buffington Homes uses is to opt for double pane windows which help you save on cooling cost by up to 38%.
2) With school out and lots of little ones running around you can be sure they will be tracking lots of extra dirt inside the house. Place a door mat on both the inside and outside of exterior doors to make sure you catch everything they may bring in.
3) Call the exterminator! The start of summer is a great time to get your house inspected for little critters that are attracted to the cool air inside your home. You can also find do it yourself products at the local hardware
4) Make sure that you are also doing your best to keep your outside pets cool. Put out extra water and create a cool place for them to rest if your backyard doesn’t already offer natural shade. If your dog loves water you can purchase a small children’s pool for around $10 for them to cool off in.
5) Water in the evening when the sun has gone down, this will keep your water cost low and is good for the environment.
We wish you a fabulous summer, stay cool!